SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. SEO is all about optimizing a website for search engines. SEO is a technique for:
- Designing and developing a website to rank well in search engine results.
- Improving the volume and quality of traffic to a website from search engines.
- Marketing by understanding how search algorithms work, and what human visitors might search. SEO is a subset of search engine marketing. SEO is also referred as SEO copyrighting, because most of the techniques that are used to promote sites in search engines, deal with text. If you plan to do some basic SEO, it is essential that you understand how search engines work.
Search Engine Work?
Search engines perform several activities in order to deliver search results.
- Crawling – Process of fetching all the web pages linked to a website. This task is performed by a software called a crawler or a spider (or Googlebot, in case of Google).
- Indexing – Process of creating an index for all the fetched web pages and keeping them into a giant database from where it can later be retrieved. Essentially, the process of indexing is identifying the words and expressions that best describe the page and assigning the page to particular keywords.
- Processing – When a search request comes, the search engine processes it, i.e., it compares the search string in the search request with the indexed pages in the database.
- Calculating Relevancy – It is likely that more than one page contains the search string, so the search engine starts calculating the relevancy of each of the pages in its index to the search string.
- Retrieving Results – The last step in search engine activities is retrieving the best-matched results. Basically, it is nothing more than simply displaying them in the browser.
What is SEO?
SEO is the act of modifying a website to increase its ranking in organic (vs paid), crawler-based listings of search engines
How do organic search listings work?
- A spider or crawler which is a component of an SE gathers listings by automatically “crawling” the web
- The spider follows links to web pages, makes copies of the pages and stores them in the SE’s index
- Based on this data, the SE then indexes the pages and ranks the websites
- Major SEs that index pages using spiders: Google, Yahoo, AltaVista, MSN, AOL, Lycos
1.Domain name strategies
– domain names are traffic magnets
> 63 million domain names registered
> 4.7 million domain names registered 1st quarter 2004
– choose a domain name that will increase your search engine ranking. How?
– use keywords, location, advertising terms, product names
– choose a keyword that is important for your business
– the text in the links should include keywords
– the more inbound links the higher the SE ranking
– if the site linking to you is already indexed, spiders will also receive your site
– quality of inbound links is critical
– how to increase links: a) creative content / copywriting b) good outbound links c) target a list of sites from which you can request inbound links
– links for the sake of links can damage your search rankings
“Link relevancy is critical in getting your site indexed by search engines”
“A small number of inbound links from high-quality, relevant sites is more valuable than many links from low-traffic, irrelevant sites.”
– important in optimizing rankings
– the first thing that a search engine displays on a search return
– must keywords in title to be ranked no. 1
– should have the exact keyword you use for the page
– every single web page must have its own title tag
– you can use up to 65 characters – example
https://digitaleducationhub.com (the title is littered with keywords)
4.Meta description tags
– displayed below the title in search results
– use dynamic, promotional language
– use keywords
5.Meta keywords tags
– no longer carry weight with major SEs
– a myth that meta keywords alone affect rankings
– include keywords in your alt tags
7.Submit your website to SEs for indexing
– submit your site to search engine directories, directory sites and portal sites
– indexing takes time (~ 3 months)
There are two types of SEO
On page SEO
Off page SEO
On Page SEO
on-page optimization is a technique of SEO in which we did on the pages of the website itself.
In On-Page SEO design website SEO friendly.
On Page SEO
- Page Layout
- Keywords- Research
- Article Should Be Optimized
OFF Page SEO
off-page optimization is a technique of SEO in which we cover activity that takes place elsewhere (e.g. link building)outside the website.
In the off page SEO, we don’t change the website. We change back linking options.
OFF Page SEO
- Site Submission of Google & Top Search Engine
- Sitemap submission Google webmaster, Bing Master
- Feed submission, Directory Submission
- Blog Submission, Article Submission
- Social Networking, Social Bookmarking